Monday, April 25, 2011

Selfishness Disguised as Altruism??

Disclaimer: I think PCV’s are typically good people. J

    With what is, at this point anyway, the greatest challenge of my life just around the corner, I have been contemplating some philosophical questions related to my life choice.
 
   I think one of the biggest mistakes that people make regarding Peace Corps is that it is full of selfless, altruistic individuals who choose to give of themselves with little compensation. Though there is likely an ounce of truth in this, I believe the thinking related to PC is somewhat misguided.
 
   I would like to believe that I am overall a fairly nice, friendly, and kind person – but that has nothing to do with my PC decision. Perhaps it is even in spite of it.

   Okay, now that you think I’m making no sense, let me explain. 

   I think that my choice to become a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) is the best decision for my life right now. And that’s the thing – it’s the best decision for MY life right now. I am leaving behind my family, friends, and co-workers.  My decision to be a PCV is completely self-consumed.  I know it will tear my mother’s heart open to see me leave, and yet I will happily and willingly get on that plane.
 
   One of the biggest threats, as I see it, to foreign aid volunteer organizations is to have people going abroad thinking they are a god-send – there to save the communities and villages to which they are sent.  Those are the folks who will likely be the least favored, and therefore least productive, of all.  Humility goes a long way in achieving the goals we seek.  Realizing that we are on their turf and trying to become a part of their communities is essential in creating trust and productivity.

   I challenge those who believe that this is a purely altruistic choice.  I recognize the richness this experience will add to my life.  It is for my benefit that I am going.  It is almost as if not going would be a threat to my well-being, a threat to the very fabric of who I am – a selfish person.

   But don't worry. What the world needs is selfish people (wait, don’t send me hate mail – hear me out)! Not selfish in the mean, cruel sense but selfish in the best way possible.  Selfish in the sense of “this is my passion, and I will not rest until I have accomplished my goals.”  Some people might simply think of this as determination (which it is, I suppose), but I really believe it is a form of selfishness…the kind of selfishness that makes the world go ‘round.

   I have a lot of work experience in healthcare and with that has come exposure to two types of people: those who love their career choice and those who are miserable with their decision.  I can tell you the most significant difference between those who two groups - the way in which they greatly influence those around them (for better or worse).  Patients and co-workers alike recognize the difference. If a person is fully engaged in a career about which they are passionate, they can truly change lives. Trust me, I have seen it happen. However, when a career is chosen due to job availability or income (or the myriad of other reasons people have) instead of scratching that itch deep within their gut that begs to be satisfied, the world is robbed of a gift and a passion. The last thing the world needs is a teacher, nurse, or PCV who is not fully vested in their work. Trust me, I also know all too well about this also!

 When you are so focused on your goal that nothing can stop you from accomplishing it, you are doing wonders for the world.  It doesn’t necessarily mean that you are a wonderful, selfless person; it means that you are a productive member of society who is doing what few others do. ACT!!! Act on your passion – it will surely reward you and everyone and everything you touch!

5 comments:

  1. I love this!! Great read :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is selfish of me to want you to stay... you wouldn't bar me from the door of the ER to persue my passion of being a nurse so in turn I will not kidnap you before to can get on the plane!!! I love this blog post, I'm gonna miss you. (This was typed while crying and eating Easter candy)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome point of view Tara. I can't wait to hear about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you will do awesome motives despite being selfish. ;) will miss you oh so much though. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn, I knew I should have written about this exact sentiment before I read it on someone else's blog! Couldn't have said it better myself. Can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete