Thursday, March 31, 2011

Beware - After the Nausea Passes, Buying Stuff is Fun!

I've never been one for spending money, but I'm starting to understand how people become addicted to this thing! After having spent the majority of my life going without some of the things people consider "cannot live withouts" (i.e., professional haircuts, nice clothes, expensive make-up, etc.), I have now become an American consumer - like for real. Because I am headed to a place with a colder climate than here in South Carolina, I have had to purchase some big money items...or so they seem to me and my meager wages. I have so far purchased the following: a quality sleeping bag, solar panel charger, hiking backpack, hiking boots, base camp flats, luggage, outdoorsy waterproof coat, North Face and Columbia skirts, and a couple pairs of pants (and maybe some other things that I can't even remember). Thank God for tax returns! At first the purchases were painful and gave me a feeling of nausea. HOWEVER, as the packages began to arrive, I realized how awesome it is to have new, fun stuff. How have I gone all this time without buying so much stuff? I spent 58 years in college and somehow never fell into The North Face Denali Jacket trap/craze. I was so proud of myself for that. Now, though, I realize how people can become addicted to buying and having new, out-of-the-package-smelling things. With that said, I am happy that I will be able to spend the next couple of years recuperating from this buying binge!

On another note, I got an update on my Application Status and now I have dental, medical, legal, and placement clearance!!! Looks like everything is in place for May 31!

No comments:

Post a Comment