Friday, June 3, 2011

Ahhh Dee Enya Ahh See Ma Ma

That was supposed to be the Lion King song...sorry yes, I am that corny!

I have finally arrived in Africa, The Motherland, the origin of all humankind, and it is beginning to hit me. As we were flying over the southern part of this amazing continent today, I saw some of the most intensely beautiful and awe-inspiring scenery of my life. It was a moment of deep thought and great joy for me personally. It was also an unbelievably long flight - 15.5 hours is a loooong time to spend in flight non-stop (over an ocean no less)!

This journey began a couple of years ago, but it is finally getting to the "active" stage...which is obviously very exciting! I have realized more than ever that, as Bernard of Chantres so famously and eloquently stated, I am standing on the shoulders of giants. I can feel everyone who has sent out prayers, support, love, positive thoughts, and good vibes throughout this journey so far, and I am endlessly thankful for every bit of it! I would certainly not be here without my supporters.

Jayson started me on this voyage about six or seven years ago by giving me a HUGE vote of confidence that I was capable of doing Peace Corps. It comes as a great compliment because he knows what it takes to hack it in this environment and the endless complications and frustrations that accompany it sometimes. My parents and sister (and all my family for that matter) have been so beautiful in their support of their crazy daughter/sister who always (for better or worse) takes the road less traveled by. Without the love and kindness of my amazing friends, I may not have had the courage to do it...but they were there. All of you were always there, and for that I cannot thank you enough.

My good buddy of only about four months has inspired me so deeply that it brought me to tears a few times throughout my flight to Africa. I feel like you're sitting on my shoulder, guiding me with that insane amount of grace and wisdom you have at such a young age. (I know you'll be reading this, so I don't have to call you out by name.) I will carry you with me throughout this journey, and I will do my best to honor the work you started here!

Tomorrow morning we will board a flight from Johannesburg, South Africa to Maseru, Lesotho. From there I will meet the family with whom I will be living during Training! We are all so excited about this milestone...loaded with host family gifts for adults and children. It promises to be a surprising and memorable week.

There is so much to say, but I am too excited and exhausted to keep writing...it would only turn into rambling, I'm sure. I cannot wait to experience the next few days and hopefully be able to report back within a couple weeks. Ohhh, and I will definitely post the "needs list" as soon as I get a grasp of what I need. :) For now, if you want to send anything, PLEASE send pictures and letters (ya know, like pick up a pen and write on some paper!). That will be better than anything anyone sends...I can assure you of that!

The address is:

Tara Hughes, PCV
P.O. Box 554
Maseru, 100
LESOTHO


Thanks again for the good sensation I am feeling right now! Much love to you all :)

3 comments:

  1. Lynn and I are thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm cheering you on! I hope your host family has embraced you with open arms. Stay warm! I'll write you a formal letter soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara - so happy that you had a good flight - although long! Will continue to keep you in my prayers as this journey begins for you. Looking forward to reading about your adventures! I will also mail you a "real" letter soon!

    ReplyDelete